Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Gladiator

I am actually not in terrible shape. The football, volleyball and regular swimming makes me not a complete sack. Monday I jogged for 30 minutes for the first time in years and wasn't horribly out of breath the whole time at all like I expected. Yesterday I did a bit of the old body for life routine where you really push it and try to kill yourself at the end and it wasn't too suicide inducing. Today my leggies felt pretty tired so instead of going to the Jim again I decided to go for a clomp in the park.

There is a humongous, kick ass park 2 blocks from my place. Grant's tomb is up there and a bunch of other famous old shit. I saw a sign that said "Battlefields Left" which I figured meant some revolutionary war locales and maybe they would have some forts or cannon and plaques telling what happened where but there was none of that. Only soccer and softball fields. There were a couple of dorks playing karate on one of the fields but I don't think that's what the sign was talking about.

Between two of the fields was this big sand lot for volleyball and to the side of it was a sweet contraption that you are meant to swing around on like tarzan. If you have ever seen American Gladiator, and you have, it looks like the Hang Tough event except no Wolf and the drop is only a few inches. To make it all the way across you need to complete 10 rings. I always th0ught that Hang Tough looked pretty damn hard and was wondering how hard it would be to make it all the way across. Here is a ring by ring analysis:

Ring 1-2: Hey this isn't that hard at all.

Ring 2-3: This is the easiest thing in the world. I could do this all day.

Ring 3-4: Uh oh my hands are starting to ache a tiny bit.

Ring 4-5: CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN'T TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE.

Ring 5-6: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWW

Ring 6-7: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW

Ring 7-8: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW

Ring 8-9: SAAAAAAVE ME JEESUUUUS

Ring 9-10: Drop

It was dark and I thought I had finished when I dropped. I think I could have made it if I had seen it but I didn't. Subsequent attempts proved futile as I skipped the first few steps and went directly to step 8. So now I have a new project to complete. Certainly ten less pounds will make it a lot easier.

2 comments:

  1. How would Mark do with his proclivity for hanging and his evident immunity to hand-bar-pain?

    ReplyDelete